Skip to main content

Creating an Avatar



Hi everybody! Today I`m going to talk about the use of avatars in education. First of all, we need to know what is an avatar. Is an image that represents an animal, a person or a thing that we can use with the objective of keeping our identity secure.

MY AVATAR

Here you have my avatar.



My name is Lora. I am 10 years old. I am a explorer and I learned all that I know from my parents. I`m lost in a temple and I need help from the third graders.
I am very interested in science, history and also in traveling. I usually travel a lot, but normally with friends or family. This time is different, I am alone and I need help to solve the riddles. I came here, looking for a treasure. During my trip I will ask to my friends from third grade.

HOW TO CREATE AN AVATAR



In my case I have used an application that is called "Toontastic". I chose that one because is not registration requires and is easy to use. I will use the avatar with children in science class. It`s a funny way to keep their attention and also they can review what they have learned in class. 

First of all you can choose between three different scenes.


I have chosen the first one that have three parts: beginning, middle and end.



Then you have to pick a setting. There are many kinds of them: spooky camp, space, pirates, etc.



Furthermore there is a big variety of avatar. You can make as you want, choose clothes, hair, etc. Also you can make your own character if you are good at drawing. As well you can insert different moods (tense music, romantic music, etc).




Another activity could be that children do their own avatars. They will feel very enthusiastic about the personalization of their avatars, using their pictures, voices, desing... in definitive in their imagination. You can do many different activities. For example there is another option in this app to make a science report.





I have really enjoyed doing this activity. I think it could be used in many educational settings and that it is a new and different way of keeping the attention of students. One important aspect is that if you make this activity in english, children can improve speaking and their pronunciation. 


I have no hesitation in recommending this application and encourage those who are reading this post to put into a practice in your classroom.

All the pictures have been taken from the app Toontastic. (screenshoot)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Content Curation Tools

Hi everybody, Today I am going to write about Content curation. Do you know what is this? First of all think for a while...when you are looking on the web about some topic, how many time do you usually spend on it? In my case I have spent a lot of time, but now I know how to do it faster. I have discovered: Content Curation. Nowadays there are a lot of resources that you can find on internet and sometimes you spent many time clicking and clicking. For that reason I started to use Content Curation. First of all you can organize all your resources and also linked to other resources that are very useful. There are different tools to start curating content: Pinterest Pearltrees Symbaloo Listly Scoop.it I have worked with Pinterest because for me is intuitive and easy. Also there you will find resources about all topics. I am going to explain a little more about Pinterest. First of all Pinterest is a web page that serves as a virtual board, you can discover, organiz

WEBINAR about online training and digital competence

Hi everybody, Today I would like to talk you about an interesting topic.Last tuesday I have attended to a online conference in WEBINAR , where I learned about an interesting information for teacher´s training. As a teacher I have to write about this because I think that it´s something that many people don´t know and is really engaging. I would like to start remarking that the webinar carried out by Maria Jesús García, my ICT teacher from de University (Rey Juan Carlos). You can follow her on twitter if you clip here . She spoke about different "free courses". There are trainig initiatives and each initiative has its own learning experience. You can improve your digital competence for education. I would like to explain you more in details each of them. All of them are made for the Ministry of Esducation. MOOC (Massive Open Online Course). There are aimed at a large number of participants through internet.  This kind of courses have a duration of four or five